McLeansboro, IL

L&N Railroad

Milepost: 384.45

L&N McLeansboro Depot

McLeansboro 2nd Depot

Courtesy of Doris Nelson

McLeansboro Township

Hamilton County

St. Louis and Southeastern Milepost: 1

Southwest corner of Market and Marshall Street

Estimated GPS Coordinates, Click For Map: 38.09337,-88.5408

History

January 1, 1872, the first McLeansboro depot was at Powell's Station. This stop was the second depot at the corner of Market and Marshall Street west of the courthouse. It was located a mile south of McLeansboro Junction with the main line via a Y-track on the branch connecting to Shawneetown and the Ohio River. Both freight and passenger service were offered. Trains that were east and west bound had to stop at the McLeansboro Depot. This requirement meant engines had to back down into town adding extra time to the route.

Doris Nelson found an article dated May 2nd, 1889 from the McLeansboro Times that related hope that the Chicago and New Orleans railroad would be built through Hamilton County. The railway was built west of the county.

McLeansboro Times-Leader (Mcleansboro, Illinois) · Thu, Oct 20, 1955 · Page 34-36

Fayette County Map, Mt. Vernon, McLeansboro from Illinois State Atlas 1876, Illinois, Published by Lakeside Building Cor. of Clark and Adams Sts. in 1876

Western Reporter Robert Desty Charles Andrew Ray January 1, 1886 Lawyers' Co-operative Publishing Company pg. 396-397

1876 Map - McLeansboro Depot 2

Atlas of the State of Illinois by Warner & Beers
Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center

Railroad Workers from McLeansboro

Courtesy of Doris Nelson

L & N Rail
McLeansboro 1939

David Cantrell