Dales Station

Dale, IL

L&N Railroad

Milepost: 390.21

L&N Dale Depot

Dale Depot 2011

Photo by David Cantrell

Twigg Township

Hamilton County

St. Louis and Southeastern Milepost: 8

Northwest corner of the present day Dale Road and the railroad

Estimated GPS Coordinates, Click For Map: 37.99503196,-88.49407098

History

On February 5th, 1913, the citizens of Dale petitioned the Railroad and Warehouse Commission of the State of Illinois for the construction of a depot. The commission directed the Louisville and Nashville Railroad to prepare plans and specifications for a new depot by the March meeting. It was retired by the railroad on 5/1/1951. In his book, Timber Town, Charles Hatton states that the Dale depot was built around 1913-1914. No explanation has been found for the depot name of Dales vs. the town name of Dale although other railroads alter spelling to prevent confusion with existing stations.

A Timber Town, Charles E. Hatton, Hatton House, Danville, IL. 61832

Western Reporter Robert Desty Charles Andrew Ray, January 1, 1886 Lawyers' Co-operative Publishing Company pg. 396-397

Dale Map

Gholson Brothers

1938 Dale Depot Aerial View

Illinois Historical Aerial Photographs

Dale Depot Map

Dale 2018 Aerial View

DOT Railroad GIS

Dale L&N Depot

Dale Depot facing west

Photo by David Cantrell

Dale Post Office, Zip Code 62829, Closed 2011

Photo by David Cantrell

Additional Information